Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Freedom inhibits creativity

Arun Verma, in a post on the Cre8tive Ignition blog discusses how freedom can inhibit the creative process. I can't remember where I first saw the tenet "freedom inhibits creativity" but I've been giving it some thought for some time. I'm thinking of ways to apply false limitations to any creative exercise. For example, I've been toying with creative directives with built-in limitations such as:

Recreate the Olympics in your own garden on £50

or the even more challenging:

Recreate the Olympics in a can of fizzy drink.

My hope is that in addition to providing some interesting insights and ideas the challenges such as the ones above will also help to profile subjects: by being treated as a kind of analogy that triggers awareness of the characteristics of the real subject. So, calling my neighbours to look over the fence and watch the events at my back-garden Olympics could trigger awareness of the publicising of the real Olympics.

Work in progress.

No comments: